In recent years, Almaty has become a hub between Russia and Asia and is often the starting point for one’s Central Europe trip. With extravagant futuristic metal and glass skyscrapers, government buildings, and hotels peppering the city. Walking along the main thoroughfare in these cities, I felt like I was in a sci-fi movie!
This is an ultimate One Day in Almaty and Astana Itinerary for First-Timers and ideally for those who are looking to plan activities and sightseeing for their layover in Kazakhstan, or like its famously known – ” Dubai with a Central Asian twist.”
If there is one city I know like the back of my hand, it is Almaty, Kazakhstan. Why? Well to start with there are so many amazing sights in the city. It’s a university town with lots of young people. Locals are very nicely dressed and, well, are really nice too! Above all these, 1 INR is equaled to 5.52 Kazakhstani Tenge. So, it’s pocket friendly too!
Quick Tip: Citizens of the Republic of India, flying with Air Astana and transiting via international airports in Astana and Almaty to a third country or returning from a third country, can enjoy a 72-hour transit visa-free regime. The 72-hour transit visa-free regime is generally applicable to both individual passengers and tour groups.
I was in Almaty for 30 hours before I could get on my way to Saint Petersburg, Russia. And was in Nur-Sultan (Astana) for 24 hours while coming back home. I must say that the day trips in these two beautiful cities of Kazakhstan outrank day trips pretty much everywhere else I’ve been… but you can most definitely find enough to do in order to spend a day in Almaty and in Astana. Read along to know 🙂
When in Almaty, visit :
When in Astana, visit :
Lastly, Admire the Street Art – A great time to visit this area is around sunset when most people are out and about. There are people selling goods on the streets, musicians and best of all, no cars!
There are just a few things that would help you ensure smooth 72-hour visa-free transit in Kazakhstan:
- Let the Air Astana staff at the airport check-in desk in your departure city know that you plan to enjoy the visa-free transit.
- If you plan to stay in Astana or Almaty, book a hotel in advance and be ready to provide the name of the hotel where you are staying and its address information if required.
- To obtain a migration card make sure you have the below 3 documents :
- A valid air ticket or boarding pass to a third country where you are planning to go within 72 hours.
- A boarding pass receipt of the previous flight.
- A valid passport with at least one blank page in it and a visa for the final destination country (if the country requires a visa).
We hope our recommendation makes you visit these showpiece 21st-century cities!